12 for 2012

I’m not very big on the whole New Year’s Resolution thing. Partly because I’m so damn fickle about any kind of goal I set for myself (well, is it worth the effort? Is it going to take that long? How much of this is going to cut into my sit-on-the-couch-and-be-worthless time?); and mostly because I’m scared that I’ll fall flat on my face if I don’t accomplish it.

Despite my non-belief in setting myself up to fail, I compiled a to-do list at the beginning of the year. Yes, a to-do list. No, not a resolution list. Resolution implies that anything set forth as a resolution will be long forgotten by January 3rd. A to-do list demands that it needs to be to-done (haw haw)

Why am I bringing this up, you say? January was eons ago. It’s June. It’s also the sixth month of the year which means, duh, we’re almost halfway through the year. Which means, anything that hasn’t been crossed off this list, I have approximately 180 days to legitimately do and cross off (and not just half-ass it to say I did).

So, here’s the list. I took the liberty of actually putting a little checkmark next to the ones that have been happily accomplished. You know, to make it look like a legit to-do list and all.

12 To-Do for '12

✔ 1) Workout (and actually like it!)

2) Learn something new like ✔crochet, scrapbook, airbrush and ride a two-wheeled something with a motor

✔3) Learn how cook good healthy food and amazing desserts

4) Not let others' actions affect me (and my day)

5) Treat mom to lunch and dinners more often

6) More: Writing, ✔reading, designing. Less: Whining, ✔giving up

7) Try new things like joining a networking group / volunteer and taking a random creative class

8) Go back to school!

9) Do more as a family: ✔vacations, classes, play time

10) Learn to listen without speaking

11) Take a ton of pictures at every opportunity (and not just camera-phone pictures)

12) Revel in and appreciate the little thing

I'm still working on it. Some of these things take more time than others (learning to listen without speaking, learning to ride a motorcycle) and others, I just need to jump into without hesitation. In about three months, I'll revisit this list again and hopefully get to check off more things.


Did you have a 2012 To-Do list? Or did you make New Year's resolutions? Have you accomplished any of them?

3 comments:

  1. That is a nice to-do list you have, good job on your met goals so far. For myself, I would still treat it as a resolution list. I get mad at myself when I don't fulfill the resolutions. I have lots of lists (daily & weekly at work and reminders on my iPad for work and personal) but nothing set for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I resolve to lose this flab...and get in better shape. I did it before, I'll do it again. Been running or walking every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your list and i'm interested and stealing some of them for my list. the one i haven't made lol i'd have to work with maybe a weekly list of small to dos before i can do a yearly one like this. but thanks for the encouragement lol sitting on my ass is much easier tho. :]

    have you thought of other things you may have started doing or stopped doing that has nothing to do with your list and actually worked out for ya? i can think of a few in my life!

    ReplyDelete